It is very important to recover Tally data for Tally user as Data of Tally is very vital for every user or a company. More serious the user is in Tally more vital the Tally data becomes for him. In other words we can say that more and more a Tally user increase his dependence on Tally, he needs more and more care of its Tally data. More and more vital it becomes for him the Tally data recovery in case his data gets corrupted.
Although Tally has provided many ways to protect your Tally data, but still one way or other due to some human error or system failure a Tally user may loose his data. Particularly in case of Tally it cripples his day today business.
|Recover Tally Data|
We have to first see why data has got corrupted. The ways to recover Tally data depends on reason it gets corrupted. Here are some tips and tricks which can save you the day. First of all lets see different reasons which can cause data corruption
Why Tally data gets corrupted ?
The reason could be anyone of following :-
- While working on Tally power goes off and UPS is unable to give you backup. Next time you would open your Tally company in which you were working would get corrupted.
- The computer on which you were working is not operative and OS is not working properly. Somebody formatted it !!
- You have taken so many backups by copying the Tally folder in so many placed that you forgot which was to original one.
- You have taken a backup and when you try to restore it your data is washed out.
Solutions to recover Tally data
Solutions to these problems needs common sense rather than Tally expertise. Lets understand some feature and working of Tally. Tally provides a backup and restore utility which collects all files of Tally company into one file named tbk500.001. This way of Tally backup is easier to restore as this one file can be kept safe and easily can be restored instead of all files in that folder. It is easy to be mailed or copied. In other case if any of the file gets missing or gets corrupted tally data wouldn't work. So it is better to take Tally backup from within Tally Software.
In first case when data gets corrupted while working on tally and we are unable to open the company then data can simply rewritten. Come to Company selection menu. Press "Ctrl + Alt + R". Now select the company for re writing. 90% chances are that your problem would be get solved.
In second case when OS system is not working then to recover data you need computer skills and some common sense solutions can get you out of this problem. If windows is not loading then you can try to boot the system in DOS mode. Copy all T
ally folders and data folders into D drive. If DOS mode is also not working then take out the HDD and connect it with other computer with OS system and try to open it. If the disk is ok and without bad sectors then you would be able to open the Tally folder. If still it is not working then before formatting give it a try with some recovery software or ask your computer hardware expert to recover data folders from drive.
The third case happens when people are running so many versions of tally and all versions work on different directories. More over they take backup by copying folders of data directory instead of taking backup from Tally itself. In that case you too can get confused which one is latest and which folder is needed to be restored. In this case just remember the No. of your company in Tally. For example if your company No. is 006 then go to search utility of windows and enter 006 in search box and begin search. You would see the list of folders. Now in see the locations of each folder and see the date of last modified or accessed. Choose the latest one and copy that folder in Tally's current data directory. You would probably find the right one.
One more method can be that you look for folder which has largest amount of data. Just go to each folder right click on the name and select properties. Here you would find the total file size of that folder. The biggest folder would be the current folder as it contains latest Tally data.
The fourth case happens when you have created so many companies and when you restore the data that current company is not in your older data. This can also happen when data backup you have taken is already corrupted. In this case there is no solutions except you find some other backup which you have taken fortunately and which is good as well. To do some once again you can use search utility and look out for files names as tbk500.001 or what you can do is just type tbk*.*. It would get you all the files on your computer.
Some healthy tips can also save you the day.
- Take backup on regular basis make it a habit to take backup when ever you have done enough work. The frequency of backup always depends on how much work you do one daily basis or how much work you can afford to do again!!
- Take backup on the basis of name of days or name of month. If data is high then the backup destination can be like this d:\tallybackup\Monday or d:\tallybackup\Tuesday and so on. In this way you would get seven backups and all backups cannot be corrupted. If data volume is low then backup can be taken as d:\tallybackup\June if you can afford to do one months task in a single streach.
- Try to make minimum companies. It would save you lots of hassles.
- There should be only one Tally version and one Tally folder. Too many versions and folders multiplies your work. If you are two versions then try to sum up work in latest version as soon as possible.
- There must be proper power backup while working on tally. In network environment is a must on all nodes where tally is working.
I hope these solutions can work for you. Your comments and rectifications are invited.